Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Words

After a long hard day of work all one would like to do is kick their feet up and relax. However, this is not always feasible. 

We all have responsibilities that extend beyond our careers including (but not limited to): taking care of children, additional part-time jobs, grocery shopping, and working out just to name a few. 

I believe that we stretch ourselves too thin. Personally, at the end of an exhausting day the last thing I want to do is more work. I just want to relax. By the time I get home from work, run my errands, and head to the gym, I still have to prepare for tomorrow. It is so overwhelming that the slightest comment from a loved one, like asking a quick favor, can put me on the brink of a mini, [mature] meltdown. 

Sometimes the lack of a comment asking how your day was replaced by an immediate "favor" can get that knotted feeling in my throat. I must stress the following to all: it's not just what you say, but how you say it. Words hold so much power, and at the end of the day I want have an easy conversation about how everything went.

am so fortunate to have two incredible sisters as my support system. We speak the same lingo and understand each other. All three of us recognize the value of presenting our thoughts not only by using words in a specific way, but also with a particular tone of voice. It is such a great feeling to know that my sisters are there for me, only a phone call away. So, thanks to my two big sisters - my lifelines - who literally keep me calm, cool, and collected. 

Keep smiling, 

Kimberly Malka

No comments:

Post a Comment