Sunday, December 4, 2016

A Year Later...

Exactly one year ago, it happened. The moment I always feared: the passing of my namesake. 

Exactly one year ago, I was by my grandmother's bedside holding her cold hands as she took her last few breaths. A touch I never wish to feel again.

Exactly one year ago, I heard the deep soulful cries from my loved ones. Sounds I have never heard, sounds I never wish to hear again. 

Exactly one year ago, I had the responsibility to reach out to my family to notify them of this unfortunate occasion. A responsibility I never wish to have again.

Exactly one year ago, I saw those tall men come and take you away from us. A sight I never wish to see again. 

*

A year later, and I can still taste your zesty rice. A flavor I will always remember.

A year later, and I can still smell your moisturizing hand cream. A scent I will always remember.

A year later, and I can still feel your warm embrace. A most loving hug and kiss that I will always remember.

*

365 days ago, you left us, Bibi.

You left us. 

After 101 years of your graceful presence,
You left us. 

Always in my heart. 

Please smile today in loving memory of grandmother Malekeh. 

Love,

Kimberly Malka


No comments:

Post a Comment