Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Skirting Around the Question

Two years ago, I made a decision that was life changing. I chose to dress modestly. Translation: no pants - skirts only, slightly higher necklines, and longer length of material covering my arms. Although I do not necessarily follow the exact rules to a T, I do the best I can and I am happy with where I am. 

So, what inspired me to dress modestly? I've been skirting around (pun intended) this question for awhile. Some people are irked when the topic of this fashion choice comes to the table, others are in awe. All I know is that I feel comfortable in my own skin, and that's good enough for me.

I started learning about modesty (tzniut) from a religious perspective about 6 years ago. I learned with mentors and friends, and read a few good books (Gila Manolson has some great stuff!). And this is what I've learned...

Firstly, dressing modestly does not mean you are living an oppressive lifestyle. Quite contrary, when you conceal rather than reveal you make a powerful statement, you're telling the world: "I'm more than what meets the eye," and I became incredibly fond of that idea. A certain self-image is projected when you put on particular items of clothing. Your outward appearance is the first thing people notice about you, and the way you dress can elicit various reactions.*

Secondly, and what really intrigued me about modesty was the mystery behind it all. What is concealed is perceived as being something more valuable. Think about it like this: your favorite Manolo Blahnik heels are never thrown at the back of your shoe shelf, rather they are kept inside their perfect box, inside a dust bag, with tissue paper wrapped all around the outside and inside to keep it in mint condition. Why? Because they're beautiful, precious, and expensive. Wouldn't it be great if we treated our bodies the same way?

Thirdly, I feel incredibly connected to the significance of regality in modesty. We are the children of the King of Kings, so that makes us royalty (fun fact - my middle name translates to "queen" in Hebrew). Think of how the Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton carries herself. How she presented herself in the famous long sleeve lace Alexander McQueen wedding gown made the globe believe she was a princess prior to her nuptials.

Lastly, I'm a girly-girl obsessed with skirts and dresses. I do not feel limited by my options (there are tons of skirt designs from A-Line to pencil), and love mixing and matching different pieces together. 

Bottom line is, even though this is a fun and open space where we can talk about the latest trends in fashion and beauty, each and every single one of us is a soul and we need to allow our inner selves and true identities shine through by using fashion as a tool to dress for success!


Keep smiling,

Kimberly Malka 



*Outside Inside A Fresh Look at Tzniut p. 27-29 Manolson, Gila






No comments:

Post a Comment